Content owners and delivery providers are often faced with the need to convert legacy — or newly arriving — file inventory to a different or newer codec. This need can arise from a variety of drivers including:
- Desire to enable video assets, e.g. broadcast video-on-demand content, to be consumable by newer media players or devices, such as desktop or mobile devices, that only support the latest codecs — particularly relevant where the fast-moving world of mobile devices, delivery containers, and audio/video codecs dictate constant updates
- Desire to pivot the content source to a newer, better compression format such as H.264 BP or MP
- Desire to convert content to a newer, higher compression codec only accepted by latest generation set-top boxes
- Desire to scale down HD content for consumption by lower resolution mobile devices
- Desire to reduce the bit rate of files for transmission over congested last mile infrastructure, e.g. mobile wireless networks
RGB's TransAct Transcoder provides a comprehensive file-to-file transcoding feature set that enables content owners or delivery providers to transition content to an encoded format that meets a new compatibility, quality or size objective.
This solution takes advantage of a straightforward, easy to manage watch folder approach where source content is placed in folders, each set up with a corresponding decode/encode workflow for a variety of file types. Workflow options enable the operator to optimize around speed of transcode or quality of transcode — as required by the application or content type. Transcoded files are subsequently placed into pre-defined output folders, which segregate on success/failure. Standard transcode logs are captured including job started, completed, failed, etc. providing detailed tracking of each and every transaction.
A broad range of containers, video codecs and audio codecs are supported including:
The TransAct Transcoder file-to-file capability is available as a stand-alone, file-to-file software license only, coupled with a TransAct Transcoder on-demand software license, or as a turnkey appliance running on RGB's Application Media Server (AMS).